Meghalaya News 24 special
Stating that the COVID 19 situation in Meghalaya is alarming, Health Minister AL Hek on Monday urge people to be careful, even as he maintained that such kind of spike continues, it clearly indicates of third wave is coming.
His statement came in view of the state witnessing a sudden surge in the number of COVID-19 cases as well as the fatality rate for the past few days.
“People should be very careful. If this kind of spike is taking place, it is clearly indicating that the third wave is coming,” Hek told reporters.
Asked if the government would have to again go for a total lockdown, the health minister said that the government will examine the situation before taking a call on that.
“Will have to study and survey the situation. If the situation really arises, we will have no option (but to go for a total lockdown to contain the spread),” Hek said.
He however said livelihood activities of the people should also be taken into consideration while taking any future decision.
“No doubt health is very important and is a government’s top priority but the livelihood of the people is also equally important to us. Therefore, there is a need to strike a balance between the two – We have to ensure people cannot die out of starvation and they cannot die due to COVID-19,” he said.
According to him, many people, especially single mothers, street vendors, and daily labourers are facing problems due to the ongoing pandemic.
Asked, the health minister said that the government is committed to ensure each and every citizen is vaccinated and protected from the COVID-19.
“We have so far crossed 40 percent of the population which are vaccinated,” he said while adding that the vaccination drive will continue to ensure nobody succumbs to the disease.