After the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) claimed responsibility for planting the IED explosion at Sookilo under Sutnga Elaka in East Jaintia Hills district last week, Home Minister Lahkmen Rymbui has asked the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) to show the seriousness that it wants to come forward for peace talks.
“Any (banned) organization who wants to come forward for peace talks should show its seriousness,” Rymbui told reporters on Monday.
The outfit has repeatedly offered peace talks but has yet to come up overground.
Stating that the government is concrete in taking steps on whether it is feasible or not feasible for peace talks, he said, “The government has many channels which I cannot spell out…but this has to be done in consultation with the government of India. The government of India and home (political) has their own modalities but I cannot spell that out right now.”
On the other hand, the home minister said that the state police have already started the investigation into the HNLC’s claim.
“Whether it is true or not that HNLC is involved, I cannot say anything right now as I am yet to get the report,” he said while condemning the incident.
Asked, Rymbui also informed that the state police is maintaining vigilance to ensure such incidents do not reoccur in the future.
“As a police department, our duty is to ensure we prevent such incidents from happening. The IED explosion in Sookilo is a criminal act whether it is done by the HNLC or not, it is strongly condemnable as such incidents only lead to the great loss to the people and the state,” he said.
Stating that there are some who wants to take advantage of the situation in order to disrupt peace and tranquility in the state, the home minister however said, “I have full faith in the support and cooperation of our citizens so that such people who against peace will not be given a chance to thrive in our state.”