Meghalaya Government has extended the lockdown in East Khasi Hills district till 5AM of 17th May 2021. With the surge in COVID 19 cases in the state, the Government held an urgent review meeting and decided to extend the lockdown for another week.
Addressing mediapersons after the review meeting, the Deputy Chief Minister, Prestone Tynsong said, the ‘COVID 19 situation is “serious and grim”.
“In the review meeting I am to inform that the decision has been taken that again lockdown will continue in East Khasi hills district till next Monday , May 17 5 am, why we have taken this decision because as I have already told you the situation is so serious and very very grim , therefore, I would request all the citizen of East Khasi Hills to be with us together in fighting COVID 19,” Tynsong said.
“….every day we have 300 plus active cases for three to four days now , we were not able to reduce the number of active cases,” the Deputy Chief Minister said.
“.. from the Government side we would like to appeal and to request all the citizen of the state to kindly take care of yourselves individually, “ he added.
The COVID situation in the state remains grim as 11 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
Meanwhile, Director of Health Services, Dr Amar warr informed that about 375 new cases were detected in the last 24 hours with 152 recoveries. The total active cases stand at 2678 with East Khasi Hills registering the highest number of cases at 1583. Eleven people have died due to the virus in the last 24 hours and all are from East Khasi Hills.
However, a few restrictions will be lifted during the lockdown .
- Essential Commodities’ shops in localities regulated by the Dorbar Shnong will be open with strict adherence to SOPs.
- Class XII examinations will be further postponed. Education Department will issue the notificat
- Weekend lockdown which was imposed last night will continue throughout the State. From 10 PM (Friday) till 5 AM (Monday).
- Banks and Post Offices will be allowed o function with limited employees.
- Home Delivery will continue.
- Construction sites where employees stay within the premises will be allowed to function in the respective premises. Contractors to ensure that no labourers move out of the construction premises.
- MGNREGS activities will be permitted throughout the state.
- Farming activities will be permitted throughout the State with strict adherence to protocols by the Health Department.
- The 1971 iTeams and Nari have been reactivated to coordinate with local farmers/ traders for the transportation of agriculture produce.